Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2003
Marquette University, Honors B.A., cum laude, 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Valerie Breslin Montague
Valerie is a partner and a member of the Healthcare Practice Group. Her practice focuses on all aspects of health law, including federal tax-exemption, HIPAA and privacy compliance, health information technology and electronic health records issues, Certificate of Need issues, Medicare and Medicaid compliance and fraud and abuse issues. Valerie works with a variety of different healthcare clients, including: hospitals, long-term care facilities, ambulatory surgery centers, independent diagnostic testing facilities, federally qualified health centers, and physician-hospital organizations.
Valerie’s experience includes:
Advising healthcare systems on the requirements for providing electronic health records and e-prescribing subsidies to physicians and drafting agreements for the provision of such subsidies.
Assisting healthcare providers of all types with HIPAA, HITECH, general privacy and breach notification issues and policies.
Assisting with hospital-physician joint ventures.
Assisting hospital and long-term care systems with state health license applications, Medicare applications, sales and property tax-exemption applications, and federal tax-exemption applications.
Assisting Illinois hospitals and long-term care facilities with Certificate of Need issues, including preparation of permit and exemption applications and drafting declaratory ruling requests.
Aiding long-term care systems with complete corporate restructuring, including incorporating new entities, drafting organizational documents, transferring licenses, and obtaining state approval of the structure.
Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating numerous hospital contracts, including exclusive arrangements with specialty groups, medical director agreements, physician employment agreements and informed consent agreements.
Advising healthcare facilities on Medicare and Medicaid compliance issues.
Advising healthcare providers on Stark law and Anti-Kickback statute compliance.
- Presenter, “HIPPA Compliance in 2012,” Chicago Bar Association, YLS Health & Hospital Law Committee, May 2012
- Moderator, “Social Media Bootcamp Webinar Series, Level II, Part II: How to Safely Use Social Media and Social Networking in Your Health Law Practice: Avoid Privacy and Security Pitfalls ,” American Health Lawyers Association, March 2012
- Presenter: “Social Media Bootcamp Webinar Series, Level II, Part I: How to Use Social Media and Social Networking: Is There a Policy for That?” American Health Lawyers Association, February 2012
- Presenter: “Tell It Like It Is? The HITECH Breach Notification Requirements and the Medicare Self-Referral Disclosure Protocol,” Chicago Bar Association, December 2010
- Co-Presenter: “An Introduction to Fraud & Abuse and Stark II,” Lorman Seminar, Healthcare Law Business in Wisconsin, August 2004
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys
- General PHI Workgroup, Illinois Health Information Exchange project
- Payment Mechanisms Subcommittee, American Health Lawyers Association Accountable Care Organizations Task Force
- Greater Chicago Chapter of HIMSS
- Admissions Volunteer, Marquette University
- Past President, Marquette University Club of Chicago
- Obtained property tax exemption for a nonprofit organization that assists underprivileged teenaged mothers