Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., 1989
- American Jurisprudence Awards: Property
- Mechanics Liens
Loyola University Chicago, B.B.A., cum laude, 1986
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Ethan has over twenty years of experience in general commercial law and litigation management. He focuses his practice on commercial litigation with an emphasis on securities, antitrust, products liability and IP litigation. Ethan spent eleven years as a member of the senior legal team for a Fortune 20, global medical device, pharmaceutical and healthcare technology company where he was responsible for litigation matters world-wide. He also served as a member and Secretary of the Board of Directors of the organization’s Political Action Committee.
Ethan has been featured in The American Lawyer and Corporate Counsel for his work in helping to secure a defense verdict in a high profile medical device case. The verdict was cited by The National Law Journal as one of the Top Twenty Defense Verdicts for 2002.
Ethan’s experience includes:
Successfully tried a two week fraudulent conveyance trial in which a multibillion dollar Capitol Fund sought a $15 million dollar recovery against our client sounding in 15 counts, resulting in a defense finding on each count and an 86 page opinion impacting the “collapsing” doctrine in leveraged buy out situations.
- Successfully defending mass-tort product liability litigation, resolving more than 1,800 individual lawsuits and claims.
- Managing insurance assets in excess of $350 million to defray liability and litigation costs.
- Prosecuting antitrust claims resulting in net recoveries exceeding $200 million.
- Litigating numerous commercial, intellectual property and securities claims separately valued in excess of $500 million.
- Participating in responses to Securities and Exchange Commission investigations.
- Resolving securities class action, ERISA and derivative litigation valued in excess of $5 billion.
- Compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley requirements for tracking risk contingencies.
- Preparation of public disclosures and discussions of various legal risks and contingent liabilities in securities filings.
- Participating in due diligence for acquisitions of private and publicly held entities.
- Participating as a member of core plaintiff’s negotiation team that successfully resolved antitrust litigation resulting in recovery exceeding $1.5 billion.
- Investigating and responding to various private and governmental claims involving allegations of violations of antitrust laws, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Medicare fraud and abuse and securities law violations.
- Acting as a corporate representative on committees of Potentially Responsible Parties for environmental Superfund sites.
- Responsibility for legal strategies in the United States and Europe and coordinating risk management with marketing and product development teams.
- Developing and managing an international lobbying team responsible for proposing and responding to domestic and international regulatory and legislative initiative.
- Testifying before various state legislatures and international regulatory groups.
Member of the Trial Bar of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois